Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Things I get for free

I was talking to someone the other day who is new to couponing and they were curious as to the things I get for free, so I decided I'd compile a list. Also let me tell you it helps tremendously if you are not brand loyal to products. I do have my loyalties (Tide & Cheer laundry detergent, Heinz ketchup & Dukes mayo) but for the most part I try and stay neutral and purchase what gets me the most savings. This is a list of things I can regularly get for free:

Grocery Items:
Pasta
Instant Potatoes
Rice
Marinades
Teryaki sauce
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Brownies
Cereal
Pancake Mix
Pickles, relish
mustard
BBQ sauce
canned tomatoes
Tea
Hot Chocolate
Chocolate milk
candy
gum mints

Paper Products:
Wax Paper
Foil
plastic wrap

Cleaning Supplies:
Bathroom Cleaner
Stain removal products
glass cleaner
toilet bowl cleaner
liquid dish washing detergent
Cleaning wipes

Health & Beauty:
Pain relievers
toothpaste
toothbrushes
cold medicine
mouthwash
floss
deodorant
bar soap
bath gel
shampoo, conditioners

The secret to getting these is to stockpile your coupons. Get as many newspaper coupons as you can. You can check with libraries for the coupons from their Sunday paper, check with co -workers, friends and neighbors, also check recycle bins. You can also purchase multiple coupons for products you use a lot of from places like the couponclippers.com.

A typical grocery store runs on a 12 week sale cycle. If the item is on sale buy enough to last your family for 12 weeks and it will be on sale again.

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

I'm with you on the free toothpaste! We've thought about giving it away for Christmas gifts we have so much!

That's interesting about the 12 week cycle. I had no idea!

Melissa said...

The toothpaste and toothbrushes are great for Operation Christmas Child!